THE MARSHALL'S CHICKENS...


Well after reading another blog about Chickens (see my links)
We decided that it was most certainly acceptable to keep chickens as a hobby.
Despite one or two of our neighbours moaning behind our backs and behind closed doors we went ahead and welcomed into our garden four hens..
Harriet - Sapphire - Speckle - Amber
Sometimes you just have to accept that you can please some of the people some of the time and for the rest of it ... well, get a life...
GET A CHICKEN!!

Having now moved out into the countryside we have no neighbours so have 13 hens and 2 very nosey cockerals!!



HERE IS MY OWN DIARY OF A CHICKEN LOVER...

Firstly a huge " THANK YOU" to JUDE SCOTT at
COTWOLD CHICKENS - This lady was really helpful and gave us loads of time, useful and advice and support.

I would recommend going to visit JUDE AT COTSWOLD CHICKENS HAWTHORN STUD SOUTH NEWINGTON BANBURY
If you too like us feel the need to expand your knowledge and desire for the good life!

MEET THE MARSHALL HENS..

BOVAN GOLDLINES
AMBER STARS

BLACK STARS
SPECKLED STAR
BLUEBELL

Friday 24 August 2007

EGGS, EGGS, EGGS......

Yesterday we had three eggs... and one was soft shelled, laid by Sapphire our Black Star (Given the choice I think that's the option I would go for!) One was from Harriet as usual and the other we think was from Speckle. I Have looked up what soft shells are all about and at the moment am not at all worried. The boys were amazed at it and to be honest so was I!(although I played it down rather, don't want them to think or know I'm a complete novice in the chicken world too!) The panic of it being something awful or alien, which is what it looked like has now subsided and Harrison has calmed down.


After checking out the Internet I discovered that its actually quite normal for a first egg to be soft. I think that I'd like to break myself in gently too given the choice.


Today however Sapphire laid again... she was squat for about twenty minutes and then produced something just as amazing as yesterday...






It's been quite a talking point with the boys and the neighbours, but reading about miss -shapen eggs I am a little more concern but only time will tell.

Every thing in their diets is spot on so I think at the moment I will put this down to the fact she's a novice like me. Although Harriet started laying perfect eggs from day one including a double yoke'r yesterday. Typical of the Marshall's to get weird eggs!!! Perhaps its the influence of this neighbourhood!! HA!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice eggs.. Hows the training them to eat with utensils going?

THE MARSHALL HENS.. said...

I want to teach then to poop over the fence first!!